It seems that eating a diet rich in whole, plant-based foods makes me feel really fantastic. Not only do I feel better in my body & mind, but I also get to eat the things I’ve grown up on.
By tweaking the ingredients or getting creative with flavors, I experience no deprivation when it comes to the food I consume. I eat pizza, burgers, casseroles, tacos, ice cream and so on-yet the ingredients I use are comprised of plants…which cause me no heaviness after-the-fact, no inflammation, no energy crashing and stable weight. Plus I have more energy to get out and be active. It seems, this way of living, cooking and eating works for me.
One of our weekly go-to’s for a comfort type meal is Plant Pizza. After cooking the pizza piled with assorted veggies to a perfect crispy consistency- I add fresh toppings to hit a home run on each and every bite.
- engine 2 pizza crust (the more nutrient dense option) OR pizza dough you roll out yourself
- engine 2 pizza sauce or a tomato sauce of choice
- nutritional yeast (NY), dried oregano, cracked pepper, paprika
- red onion, mushrooms, bell peppers-all sliced, whole garlic and what ever else you fancy
- Fresh toppings: more onion, basil, arugula, kalamata olives, jalapeños (fresh or pickled)
Preheat oven to 500. Prep all veggies. Place red onion, mushrooms, bell peppers & whole garlic in a pan on medium heat. Sprinkle oregano, cracked pepper & paprika on top. Place lid on and allow to warm & sweat (no oil or liquid necessary) for 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat. After rolling out dough (using plenty of flour to prevent sticking on pizza stone) add sauce and spread across pizza surface. Add NY & more seasonings. Place warmed veggies on top. Bake for 14-18 minutes until crust is golden brown. Take out and let rest. While pizza is baking, make a salad and your fresh toppings plate. Slice the pizza and serve.