This casserole puts the CHILL in EnCHILadas. I will start this off with a photo to make your mouth water, and then go into how fool-proof, affordable and easy this recipe is.
Okay. This is a fool proof recipe, budget friendly, and OH-MY-GERSH good. It takes 15 minutes to put together and can sit in the fridge for several days before you bake it. It’s gluten-free, low fat, dairy-free and plant-strong. Here’s how you make this magical creature.
Serving size: Huge casserole pyrex pan
- 2 corn tortilla packages at 10 count each
- Enchilada sauce. 16-24 oz. You can make your own but my go-to’s are: 365 Orgainc Red Enchilada Sauce Or Frontera Red Chili Enchilada Sauce (A little info about Ench sauce…when you buy it, it’s super high in sodium. You can substitute 1/2 of the sauce in the recipe for unsalted fire roasted tomatoes from a can OR just don’t add any more salt to the recipe)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (just in case)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tiny cans diced hatch chiles: I like HOT
- Spices: cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, chili powder, granulated garlic, cracked pepper
- 1-2 tbs Balsamic reduction
- 2 cans no salt black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 bunch Cilantro-chopped, 1 jalapeño-finely diced, 1 large yellow onion-diced
- 3 yellow squash-large dice, 1 red bell pepper-diced, 1 carrot diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, finely shredded
- 1 sweet potato-chopped…optional. I always have a cooked sweet P in the fridge
OPTIONAL AVO MUSH: 1/2 ripe avocado, 1/2 lemon -juiced, 1 tsp ume plum vinegar (love this, get it), 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced jalapeño for spice lovers, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbs sunflower seeds. Mush it mush it.
OPTIONAL Steamed Kale: 1 bunch curly kale, steamed for 6-8 minutes, drained and tossed with balsamic reduction
Prep all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350-375. In a large bowl add squash, bell pepper, 3/4 cilantro, onion, carrot, jalapeño, balsamic & spices. I go heavy on spices but season to taste. Mix.
In the pyrex add a few tbs of sauce to coat the bottom. Lay 6 tortillas down across surface. Add swiss chard. Add a little more sauce, 1-2 tbs nutritional yeast (NY), & cracked pepper. Add next layer of 6 tortillas. Add veggie mix-mix (you will most likely have some left to reinvent the next day). Add More sauce. Add 1-2 more tbs of NY, more cracked pepper & add all beans. Add a drizzle of more sauce. This is when I added sweet potato and, yes, a little more NY. Add final layer of 6 tortillas. Add rest of sauce. If you are out of sauce, add diced fire roasted tomatoes. Add diced hatch chiles. Add more NY. Add cracked pepper. Add remaining cilantro. Add sunflower seeds. Place foil over where it is not pressing on the ench.
Set in fridge or bake for 40 minutes with foil and 15 without.
Serve over bed or spring mix. Serve with optional avo mush and kale.
Love everything about this post